Voices Ensembles 2022
After our ensemble pilot year in 2021, we are taking our next step forward with the second year of Voices NZ ensembles in Auckland and Wellington.
The Voices Ensembles project offers an exciting opportunity for professional singers in Aotearoa New Zealand to work and perform at a high artistic level in ensemble singing.
First auditions in Wellington:
‘9Live’ ensemble is looking for 2 singers for the following voice types:
Bass (ideally with low notes) and Soprano
If you would like to audition for an ensemble, please fill in this registration form prior to May 5th.
Check out further details below and if you still have any questions, please email ensemble member Richard Taylor .
7 M A Y, ST ANDREW'S ON THE TERRACE, 2pm
- For the audition you will be embedded into the current ensemble
- Please prepare the following three songs (click on song to view sheet music):
Earth Song (Tichelli)
Penny Lane (arr. Chilcott, from memory if possible)
- You will then have a chance to get to know the other singers in an informal session
- The audition process will adhere to the current government COVID 19 Protection Framework.
- The current ensemble members are:
Nicola Holt (S), Beth Kriechbaum (A), Hazel Fenemor (A), Phillip Collins (T), Richard Taylor (T), and Mark Bobb (B).
O N L I N E
Only under special circumstances will online auditions be considered. Please talk to Richard with any questions.
K A U P A P A
- To audition and establish a small, one-per-part, regional, a cappella ensembles of Voices NZ singers in this new environment where mass gathering or travel restrictions challenge our usual arts practice.
- To encourage and nurture small ensembles that will be self-driven and have an enduring life within the artistic framework of Choirs Aotearoa.
- To provide additional performance opportunities to members of Voices NZ.
P E R S O N N E L
Dr Karen Grylls Artistic Director of Choirs Aotearoa. Karen has the overall artistic oversight of this project.
Chris Bruerton Mentor for Voices Ensembles. As an alumnus of both NZSSC and NZYC, Chris has maintained a close association with Choirs Aotearoa. He has been a member of the world-renowned a cappella ensemble, The King’s Singers, since 2012. His considerable experience as a professional ensemble singer, coupled with his background in teaching, makes him the ideal person to mentor this process.
Louise Jakeway Manager Voices New Zealand
Both the Auckland and Wellington ensembles will have a dedicated vocal consultant.
R E H E A R S A L & PERFORMANCE P R O C E S S
There will be a series of rehearsals and workshops from May 2022, beginning with a workshop weekend (or a couple of full days) to explore repertoire, assign roles, develop relationships with your external leaders, mentors and management staff, and to plan for the year ahead. .
Rehearsals will be self-led and scheduled. External mentors and leaders will be available for regular touch points with the ensemble.
CANZ management will work with the ensemble to develop your unique audience, and new and exciting performance opportunities.
C O M M I T M E N T
You will attend regular rehearsals - dates and times to be agreed on by the ensemble members.
You will be expected to commit to the ensemble for the full year.
Membership of a Voices Ensemble is in addition to other Voices NZ commitments, not an alternative.
R E M U N E R A T I O N
Singers are remunerated for their work.